The time is NOW! I’ve been waiting all season for the tomatoes to ripen to salsa perfection. I always know it’s time when brown bags of almost-too-ripe tomatoes start getting passed around the office.
After snagging a few of those, I head down to the Cesar Chavez Farmers’ Market and pick up as many as I can carry. Rule of thumb: you can never have too much salsa (and therefore can never buy too many tomatoes at the farmers’ market).
Fire roasted salsa is my go-to so on top of all those tomatoes I grabbed a second bag for the rest of the goods.
Pick up at the farmers’ market:
- 4 lbs. Roma tomatoes (they’re best – the sweetest)
- 2 – Jalapenos
- 2 White onions (sliced)
- Bell peppers
- .5 bunch cilantro (stems removed)
- 6 cloves garlic
- 4 limes (squeezed)
- Sea salt
- Fresh ground pepper
1) Preheat your grill to 400 degrees.
2) Once heated, place all vegetables on a thin baking sheet and place on grill.
3) Grill 10-15 minutes, turning twice and letting the skin blacken on each vegetable.
4) Put all the vegetables, cilantro, salt, and pepper (to taste) in a food processor or blender and coarsely puree.
5) Taste, season, stir until perfect, then SERVE!
This salsa goes great with just about anything…omelets, chips, all your favorite Mexican fare…so mix, match, and discover your favorite combo.
Thank you PaleoLeap.com for the pics!