We’ve been waiting impatiently for Downtown Sacramento Farmers’ Markets to return and I’m here to shout – THEY’RE BACK!
These next few months are the best for using farm-fresh ingredients to cook tried-and-true dishes and exploring new delicious recipes.
To kick off our summer series of farmers’ market blogs, I decide on one of my all-time favorites: Avocado Pest Zoodles (VG) (GF)
Before we dig in, this recipe calls for a blender or food processor and will be easier with a spiralizer (but not impossible without). Don’t let this deter you – it’s still easy and well worth it!
First step: choose your nearest farmers’ market.
We have four awesome markets on the grid that run daily from 10 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
- Roosevelt and Freemont parks on Tuesday (May-September)
- Cesar Chavez Plaza on Wednesday (May-October)
- Capitol Mall on Thursday (May-September)
Step two: head down and grab your goods (don’t forget a bag and cash!)
Here’s what you’ll need to make four servings of the best zoodles you’ve ever had:
- 4 medium-to-large zucchinis spiralized or cut into ¼ inch slices
- 2 medium avocados
- 1 large handful of basil
- 1 lemon (juiced)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 clove garlic
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- Salt and pepper to taste
Step three: get cookin’
- Using a mandoline, spiralizer or kitchen knife, slice the zucchini into ¼ slices. Place in layers on a sheet pan with a paper towel dividing each fresh-cut zucchini. Add a little salt between each layer to help pull out moisture. Tip: the longer they rest, the less soggy the will be after cooking
- Combine remaining ingredients in blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Lightly season to taste and set aside.
- Heat a large sauté pan with a dash of olive oil and add zoodles. Continuously stir and toss until soft (3-5 minutes).
- Add pesto to zoodles and toss until warm.
- Garnish with as sprig of basil or your favorite hard cheese
- My favorite step.
Add grilled chicken, shrimp or salmon to satisfy your inner carnivore.
Photos from EatingWell.com