We can’t help but make excuses to run down to one of the four Downtown Certified Farmers’ Markets during the week. We love sharing our favorite summer recipes with you and it’s the best midday break!
This week is all about planning for the weekend’s 4th of July celebrations. What better way to get lost in the fun ahead than to prep the perfect patriotic treat.
So come on another culinary excursion with us and bring on the Red, White, and Blue Trifle!
- 1 cup fresh black raspberries, rinsed and dried
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, rinsed and sliced
- 2 white peaches, rinsed and sliced
- 1/4 cup and 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 pound cake (angel food cake works), 3/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 bar reduced-fat cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Enough lemons to produce 1/4 cup fresh juice (2 small, 1 large)
1) When life gives you lemons (or you buy them) make lemon syrup: In a small saucepan, bring 1/4 cup sugar, lemon juice, and 1/4 cup water to a boil over medium heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. Let cool completely, then brush over both sides of cake slices.
2) Create the crème de la crème of crème: With an electric mixer, beat cream cheese with remaining 1/3 cup sugar on high speed until lightened. Turn mixer to medium speed and add heavy cream gradually, in a steady pour; continue beating until mixture is light and airy like thick whipped cream.
3) It’s all about the presentation: Cut cake into 3/4-inch-thick slices and arrange half of the pieces in the bottom of a 2-quart serving dish, or what ever you want to serve the trifle in (we chose long-stemmed martini glasses for individual portions). Leaving enough for one more layer and a dollop on top, spoon the crème mixture over cake in dollops; spread to cover completely. Scatter black raspberries, strawberries, and peach slices on top, keeping enough for the other layers. Repeat layering with remaining cake, crème mixture, and fruit. Make sure to decorate the top something fierce! It’s all about the presentation.
4) Chill out and refrain from eating (good luck): Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour and up to overnight
5) ENJOY! Share your culinary creations on Instagram and tag @DowntownSac, #DowntownDessert.
BTW, this pairs great with our Farm-to-sip Peach Sangria!