#DowntownSac always brings the heat, but sometimes the temperature can be a bit much! On those blistering triple-digit days, don’t lose your cool – beat the heat by checking out these ice-cold stops and shops.
Go see a movie
Cool off by watching one of the summer’s hottest flicks from one of Downtown Sac’s great movie theaters.
- Cinemark Century DOCO and XD – Sit back and relax at this state-of-the-art movie theater in DOCO. Reserve your seat here.
- Crest Theatre – This historic theater is home to movies, concerts, and air conditioning. Purchase a ticket for an upcoming showing here.
- Esquire IMAX Theatre – Treat your senses to the most powerful, involving, and cool movie experience created. Check out showtimes here.
It’s game time!
Nothing like an exciting air-conditioned game to take your mind off the heat! Check out one of these great stops in #DowntownSac.
- Flatstick Pub – Fun games, great beer, good food – Flatstick has it all! Enjoy mini-golf or Duffleboard while sipping on a local brew at this air conditioned DOCO pub.
- NEO Escape Rooms – You might break a sweat as you rush to find the hidden treasure, but it certainly won’t be from the heat! You won’t want to escape this thrilling indoor adventure.
- Punch Bowl Social – This 25,000-square-foot “hot spot” is actually quite a “cool” place to enjoy bowling, billiards, darts, ping-pong, karaoke, and other awesome games. You’ll really score by enjoying amazing food and craft cocktails.
Peruse the railroad museum
Hide out from the heat while exploring the California State Railroad Museum at the Old Sacramento Waterfront. See the history of the California railways come to life in engaging exhibits, take a ride along the rails that played a key role in the development of our state, and more! Tickets are $12 for adults and $6 for kids, and the museum is open daily from 10 AM to 5 PM. Learn more here.
Take a cruise on the Sacramento River
Enjoy the sights and a nice breeze as you set sail from the Old Sacramento Waterfront.
- City Cruises by Hornblower – Soak up the Sacramento scenery while cruising the river! Enjoy a variety of cruises from historic cruise to a sips and sights cruise. Book a cruise here.
- Sac Brew Boat – Grab a six-pack (or two) and enjoy a scenic tour of the Sacramento River with friends and family. Reserve your boat here.
A dip in the pool will be sure to cool you off on the hottest of days in #DowntownSac. Even cooler if you make a “staycation” out of your pool day!
- Hyatt Regency Sacramento – History meets modern legacy at this downtown hotspot. Escape the heat with a dip in their tranquil outdoor pool while you enjoy food, cocktails, beer, and wine from their café.
- Revival at the Sawyer – Sit back, relax, and sip craft cocktails or seasonal bites as you experience the Kimpton Sawyer’s rooftop pool. Enjoy private shaded daybeds, live music, and other exciting programming.
Grab a cold one
There’s certainly no shortage of delicious beverages in #DowntownSac. Check out one of these coffeeshops, breweries, restaurants, and lounges for a cool and refreshing drink that’ll help you beat the heat.
- Bailarin Cellars – Book a reservation at this tasting room for some perfectly chilled wine to beat the heat.
- BluePrint Coffee Project – Find specialty iced coffee drinks at this coffeehouse at the heart of the Old Sacramento Waterfront.
- Fizz Champagne & Bubbles Bar – Nothing is more refreshing than some great sparkling wines and excellent cheese! Find more than 150 different champagnes at Fizz in DOCO.
- Hoppy’s Railyard Kitchen & Hopgarden – Hoppy is a fun atmosphere with the freshest beer and delicious food located at the Old Sacramento Waterfront.
- The Karmic Leaf – Open Thursday through Sunday, this vegan café is a great stop for a thirst-quenching iced tea.
- Old Soul – Enjoy a refreshing Hibiscus Berry iced tea or their new Shaken Iced Matcha Vanilla Latte!
- Roots Coffee – Enjoy an iced coffee or latte from this coffee shop that’s home to warm smiles and exceptional hospitality.
- Ruhstaller Brewery – Enjoy a pint or two at their taproom on the Kay. Plus, this taproom is dog-friendly so you can bring Fido along too.
- Temple Fine Coffee & Tea – Stay cool with a Capital Cold Brew or an iced tea from this Sacramento staple.
- Underground Tasting Room – This cool, underground spot at the Old Sacramento Waterfront has amazing local wines from boutique Northern California wineries.
- Whired Wine – Sip a refreshing glass of wine or share a bottle at this unique wine bar located near DOCO.
Did someone say, “ice cream?!”
I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream! Stop by one of these amazing shops for a cold and sweet treat.
- Choices Ice Cream & Smoothies – Cool off with their amazing designer shakes, cones, floats, sundaes, and fresh smoothies at their Old Sacramento Waterfront storefront.
- Devil May Care Ice Cream & Frozen Treats – Enjoy unique flavors—like bubblegum and grapefruit creamsicle—and an ever-changing menu at this sweet and refreshing shop.
- Haagen Dazs – Grab a sundae or a simple scoop at this ice-cold DOCO store.
View a complete list of open downtown businesses here, and however you find yourself beating the heat in #DowntownSac, be sure to tag @DowntownSac in your experience for a chance to be featured on our social media channels.