When you’re on the hunt for fresh greens (and reds and yellows), Downtown Certified Farmers’ Markets are the place to go. As the Farm-to-Fork Capital of America, Sacramento offers fresh produce grown by local farmers.
Want to get your hands on locally-sourced goods? Here are 7 tips to shop downtown markets like a pro:
- These boots were made for walking: let’s be honest, most of the time we dress for fashion over function at work. Bring some walking shoes to change into so you can stroll the market with ease.
- Go early: the outdoor markets are open from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., get their early to have first pick.
- BYOB: no friends that is not a cue to bring your own beer. Although day drinking is enticing, we’re referring to bringing your own reusable bags to the market – Mother Earth will thank you.
- Get curious: Feel free to ask questions – the growers, sellers, and vendors are happy to tell you all about their delicious produce.
- Bring your green: Cash is easiest, smaller bills and exact change are greatly appreciated by the farmers and their employees.
- Taste test: you can’t always judge a book by its cover and the same can be said for fruits and veggies. Know that good fruit does not have to look perfect on the outside to taste absolutely divine.
- Shop around: we all love a good bargain; take a quick trip around the market to scope out the best deals and quality food. No impulse buying here!
Find more information about certified farmers’ market locations here.