Downtown Sacramento Ice Rink Returns for 25th Season
Grand Opening November 4 at St. Rose of Lima Park in Downtown Sacramento
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (October 26, 2016) – Celebrate the start of the holiday season with the opening of the Downtown Sacramento Ice Rink, the region’s oldest and most beloved outdoor ice rink, on Friday November 4, 2016 with a special ribbon cutting ceremony and discounted skate day beginning at 10 a.m. at St. Rose of Lima Park in downtown Sacramento.
An urban holiday experience for kids and adults, alike, the Downtown Sacramento Ice Rink will open everyday November 4, 2016 through January 16, 2017 and feature a host of special events and the low skate admission price of $12 for adults and $6 for children under 6.
Situated in the heart of downtown at the corner of 7th and K streets in St. Rose of Lima Park and surrounded by downtown Sacramento’s stunning skyline, the Downtown Sacramento Ice Rink has been a seasonal landmark on K Street since 1991. Produced by Downtown Sacramento Partnership, the ice rink has a tradition of attracting more than 30,000 skaters annually during the 13-week season.
“Throughout the years, the ice rink has become a part of the fabric of downtown Sacramento,” said Michael Ault, Executive Director of Downtown Sacramento Partnership. “Now in our 25th season and located at the doorstep of Golden 1 Center, near all of the excitement and energy surrounding the new arena, this is a special year for the ice rink. We can’t wait to see all of the families, couples and friends returning to downtown to create new treasured memories.”
Nov. 4: Opening Ceremony
An official ribbon cutting ceremony will kick off the Downtown Sacramento Ice Rink’s 25th season at 10 a.m. on Friday, November 4. During the ceremony, Michael Ault will be joined on stage by Sacramento City Councilmembers, business and community leaders, and 60 3rd grade students from William Land Elementary who will take to the ice after the ceremony. Following, skaters can enjoy $2 off admission 2 – 10 p.m.
- 6: Princess Day (2 – 4 p.m.) Presented by Sacramento Regional Transit
- 16: High School Band (6:30 – 7:30 p.m.) Featuring the El Camino High School Band
- 17: Drag Queens on Ice (6 – 8 p.m.) Presented by Outword Magazine
- 19: Train Day (10 a.m. – 5 p.m.) Presented by Amtrak San Joaquin
- 3: High School Band Day (6:30 – 7:30 p.m.) Featuring the El Camino High School Band
- 10: Santa’s Village (12 – 2 p.m.) Presented by Western Health Advantage
- 20: Holiday Carolers (6:30 – 7:30 p.m.) Featuring carolers singing classic holiday songs
- 8: 80s Day (6 – 9 p.m.) Presented by Sacramento Regional Transit
- Every Day: $2 off with same-day RT bus or light rail ticket
- Every Day: $5 off with Western Health Advantage membership card
- Every Saturday: 12 – 4 p.m. $2 off with mention of My58 or Estrella TV
- 4: 2 – 10 p.m. $2 off Opening Day Special $2 off
New this season
- All day admission: No more sessions, you can choose how long you skate.
- More skates: We’ve doubled our inventory, investing in 150 new pairs of skates.
- Skate aids: Even the smallest of skaters can take to the ice with confidence now that we have skate aids available to rent for children 5 and under.
- Learn to skate: Led by professional instructors, new affordable 6-week lesson packages for children and adults are now available.
- Group packages: Special rates are available for birthdays, school field trips, corporate events and private parties with advance reservation.
- Larger grounds: The Ice Rink footprint has grown so guests have more lounge space to enjoy when taking a break from the ice.
- New management: We’ve teamed up with the premier ice rink builder and supplier, Special Ice.
For more information, visit: GoDowntownSac.com/icerink
Facebook: /DowntownSacramentoIceRink Twitter:
Twitter: @DowntownIceRink Instagram:
And, join the conversation using #URBANholiday and #DowntownSac
Getting here early and staying late:
The Downtown Sacramento Ice Rink has partnered with Sacramento Regional Transit to encourage guests to take light rail to and from downtown. Nearby metered and garage parking is available. For information about getting around downtown, visit GoDowntownSac.com/get-around.
The 2016-17 Downtown Sacramento Ice Rink season is presented by Downtown Commons with support from Sacramento Regional Transit, Western Health Advantage, Amtrak San Joaquin, Mel Rapton Honda, Nationwide Insurance, Capitol City Loan, Sactown Magazine, My58, EstrellaTV, Now100.5, and Mix96.